Sunday, October 9, 2011

Timing is Everything


Today somehow got away from me, but that's ok, because it was mostly for good reasons. Let's just say that I spent a good part of the morning with Break Fast leftovers (although not nearly as bad as I thought), spent a few hours out enjoying the spectacular Indian Summer weather, delivered homemade chicken soup to my friend who needed it (Jeffrey made it, I helped) and watched him enjoy it, had dinner at home with the 4 of us (also cooked by Jeffrey) and spent the remainder of the night writing something non-blog related, but was completely immersed in. Let me explain...

Seven weeks from today I am leaving on a two-week adventure that will hopefully be the beginning of many journeys to come. I am fortunate to have been asked to join my Executive Director (who is also a close friend and professional mentor) on a trip to Poland and Israel. Along with participants from 19 other JCC's across the country, we will learn about an exciting new initative of the JCC Association. JCC Boarding Pass will shape the future of Israeli and Jewish travel for our community and yours. Customized trips will be designed to suit the needs and interests of today’s traveler. This familiarization trip for JCC representatives will give us a firsthand look at the types of experiences the Boarding Pass program will provide. I can't say it better than the brochure, so I won't try, "Each day will focus on a different aspect of Poland and a different aspect of contemporary Israeli life - nature, fitness, technology, food and wine, politics, and the arts. Our guide will help us see beyond the ordinary tourist point of view and invited experts will add deeper dimensions to our journey." Our commitment for participating is to book an upcoming trip for members of our community in the next few years; my personal one is to plan and lead the many journeys I know we will take. Somehow, just when I thought that my empty nest in two short years would leave me purposeless, an opportunity comes along with all the power and promise to make that next phase more exciting and fulfilling than I could have hoped for. I am inspired to find unique and interesting destinations not just in Israel, but wherever there is Jewish life around the world, appealing to all ages and interests.

Of course there will be blogging, not sure if it will be daily, but you'll be with me. I'm a little nervous to go away for this long and this far all by myself, but I know I'll be fine and so will Jeffrey and Andrew at home. I'm also a bit scared about how I will react to our visit to Auschwitz, the Nazi extermination camp. I can't even imagine the magnitude of my sadness in a place where millions of Jews were murdered. I've visited Israel before, when I was 18 and less than interested in most things other than the hotel pool and the soldiers, so this should be a whole new look at Israel for me. I am learning all I can in the meantime, researching the details, and making notes. Which leads me back to why this has become today's post. I was writing what I guess you could call the "mission statement" for our participation in this staff trip. I knew what I wanted it to feel like, but it took me a while to get it down on paper, and I'm sure when I sit down with boss man tomorrow he'll have some thoughts too. But that's expected and that's why we work so well together. So before tonight turns in to tomorrow, I want to get this one posted, and move on to Monday (already have something in mind).

Thanks for understanding, you could always use today to catch up on an entry you missed or re-read an old favorite. Every now and then I go back and read an old one; sometimes I laugh and sometimes I cringe, but I never delete (and I could). I feel better that I finally shared my upcoming “journey” as part of this one – hated keeping a secret from you, but timing is everything and now is the time. Glad you’ll be with me for the experience and who knows, get your passport renewed, you could be on my inaugural booking.

No comments:

Post a Comment