Saturday, October 22, 2011

Save The Date


I am in an excellent mood today. I have slept soundly the last two nights; which I could attribute to how tired I was from the days prior or to the fact that my thoughts are once again making it from my brain to the page. Either way, the end result is a better rested and happier Jill. In actuality it has been a pretty good week overall, other than the few sleepy days in the middle. I had a great time in New York (Tevya crowd this time, sorry BU girls), I saw two old friends, got the VIP tour (from my VIP friend) at ABC and hung out backstage at The Chew. I met Clinton Kelly (What Not to Wear) again, who actually remembered meeting me before (not sure I believe him, but felt good anyway). I talked for a few minutes each with Mario Batali and Michael Symon, both warm and friendly. I tasted the Lobster Thermador they made on the show, delicious even at 10 am. I literally bumped into the second friend on the street (we had plans to meet, but hadn't picked a time or place, so this was totally random). We had the best and longest coffee date I've had in a long time and caught up on the last decade or so. Other than not being able to fall asleep, I enjoyed the quiet, alone time in my mom's NY apartment (nice to have a hideaway sometimes). I had quality phone time with an old friend and a cousin I've been meaning to connect with and an easy, rain-free drive home late Thursday. I didn't leave the house until 4:30 on Friday when I picked up Scott at the airport. Jeffrey was working a night game so dinner was delivery for me and Andrew. A last minute plan for a late evening drink with friends was just what I needed to start the weekend. An ice cold beer, no makeup, no pretense; just good conversation and a few laughs.
Today was another easy one; coffee, the paper and laundry filled the morning. I think there may have been a 5-minute period where there was actually no dirty laundry in my house. Jeffrey left midday to Ref a game and I ventured out to do a few things. On that drive I spent time reflecting on the past few days and that's when the happy wave washed over me. My disposition was further lifted with the accompanying sound of Andrea Bocelli serenading me with "Canto Della Terra" (I have no idea what he is saying, but I am sure he is singing directly to me) which was immediately followed by Cheryl Lynn's disco hit, "Got to be Real". If you were driving anywhere near me you would have (a) cursed me out for having the volume so high, car shaking ghetto loud and (b) made fun of me for both singing along to an Italian aria and dancing while driving (probably not a good idea to use the brake or gas pedals to keep the beat). Besides the obvious concern, that the person who chooses these two consecutive songs must be a bit schizophrenic. Judge if you want to, but my soul was smiling.
Next stop on the happiness tour, Pinkberry lunch, and the joy continues. After which, I decide, why not share the love and surprise Jeffrey at his game. I take a nice drive out to the "country" (only a few miles away, but looks and feels further) and show up for the last quarter. The smile on his face when he spots me confirms that I have succeeded in making it a great day for the referee too. Currently, I am minutes away from a sushi dinner with the four of us, which will close out this picture perfect Saturday. A day full of nothing, and everything.

At some point during my travels a thought occurred to me. I have no idea why, but I started to think about how I wanted to celebrate 50, when I get there. From the beginning I told Jeffrey I only wanted to be with the kids, maybe a family trip. I definitely didn't need or want jewelry or presents; I have enough stuff.  I want something I can hold in my heart, not around my neck or on my finger (not that I am opposed to any of those things, just not what I want at this point in my life).  And then today, out of nowhere, I figured it out. I want to throw a party, for myself. I have hosted 3 big Bar-Mitzvahs, planned large-scale events for work, a few parties for assorted friends and family, but never a night just for me. This whole concept surprised me, threw Jeffrey for a loop too, it is completely outside my comfort zone. As much as I like to be the center of attention, after all I am the girl who has invited all of you to share every moment of the 365 days until I turn 50, I am not a person who has ever thought about throwing a party that is all about me. This event, as I envision it, is all about you. With every post and every story I tell, you meet the people who fill my life. The thought of bringing all my people together for one night, in one place, is the way I want to mark my passage to 50. As it happens the big day is a Monday, and no one wants to party on a Monday. So, mark the calendar for Saturday, August 11th - time and place to be determined (but I'm thinking NYC). If you're reading, you're invited, but the details will come to you more personally in the months ahead. I figure if I start to celebrate on Saturday night, I could easily (with a few naps in between) celebrate right until I really hit 50 on Monday. In my fantasy world, there could be a flight to Vegas involved if you're interested. By August I will be finished with 2 out of 3 tuitions and we get a year off before Andrew, so it's my turn to have some fun and I want you there.  I'm committed to making this happen, so Save the Date, I intend to make 50 unforgettable.

It's now 9:57 and the bliss is still holding; excellent dinner, ice cream in bed and no second thoughts about the big event. I'm hoping for another night of peaceful slumber (if I can manage not to dwell on party details all night) and a Sunday as simple and satisfying as today.


No comments:

Post a Comment