Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rock My World

Tuesday was supposed to be a perfectly uncomplicated day. After all, it was iPhone day, it wasn't Monday, and Bob Maxon (my local NBC weatherman) proclaimed it a "best weather day" of the summer. It's a quiet time at the JCC; the early childhood center is preparing for a new crop of crying moms with toddlers clinging tightly to their legs (or maybe it's the other way around), the indoor pool is closed for cleaning and repair and many on the management team are squeezing in a few last vacation days before fall fills the parking lot again. The executive offices(sounds impressive that this is where you find me),are usually a manageable chaos, today they are eerily quiet. The steady stream of members and their children, staff and assorted visitors has slowed to a trickle and no one has to close their door to make a phone call. This feels unfamiliar; a full-house is what makes this building tick. I take advantage of the calm and the morning hours are productive and uneventful. The “J” Cafe is also closed this week(no egg salad on rye today),but I resist the urge to go out(too tempting to stay out). I'm not that hungry anyway and find popcorn someone left in the lunchroom. As a rule I try to avoid "lunchroom leftovers"(which are too frequently available and not frequently a “healthy choice”).The day continues; emails, spreadsheets and an unexpected lesson in American Flags. I am often assigned the tasks that don't readily fit in other departments. Flags are visual (part of my business card title) and the JCC needs one for a 9/11 memorial in the gallery(key word: gallery), and that is essentially the thought process that lands this project in my inbox. It's 1:50 pm and I am in the zone.

It's 1:51 and my ceiling shakes; what are they doing on the roof today? Seconds later, more shaking, maintenance is getting a little aggressive. And again, something is definitely not right. I see a Facebook post (HR department look away) from a friend in New Jersey who says her building just shook and she thinks it's an earthquake. Now it's time to get up from my chair. The lonely 4 left in the office congregate and discuss the possibility, could it really be an earthquake? I panic, my typical "imagine the worst" neurosis contemplates a terrorist attack (in my defense, earthquakes are not the first thought around here).  I need to call Andrew, he’s home alone. Back to my office, dial home ..."I'm sorry that number is not in service,” did I dial incorrectly? Not sticking around to find out, I head to the car and continue to dial through parking lot, nothing. My overactive imagination is in full swing; cell towers are down, Andrew is home scared, trees have crushed the house....I check the iPad from the car; earthquake confirmed on Yahoo!  I know, why am I not driving home yet? Car in drive, I call Jeffrey on the way home (guess the cell towers are safe). He has no clue what I am talking about, didn't feel a thing. Head clears for a second and I try Andrews’s cell phone, "Hi, what’s up?" Like his father, he has no clue what I am talking about and is a little mad he didn't feel it. Now I'm back in the driveway, no trees on the house either. Tragedy averted, I finish the emails I left in limbo during the "quake," and close out the work day from my iPad.

I almost forgot, it's iPhone day, so glad I survived to enjoy it. I arrive at Verizon and sign in as instructed. What is the reason for my visit? Upgrade of course. My name is on the screen, Jill Z. has 3 people before her, which could mean anything from 3 minutes to infinity. It ends up to be something in between. iPad is with me and I stay busy reading Facebook quake posts from my East Coast friends. We are not used to this; the deal was the West Coast gets the beautiful weather, the Pacific Ocean and the earthquakes. If the plan is changing we should get the chance to renegotiate.  Soon it's my turn, upgrade complete, and I'm back in the car iPhone in hand. Staying true to my promise of "full disclosure," my first few calls leave me frustrated and convinced my phone is defective, I can't hear a thing. Andrew saves me the embarrassment of a return visit to Verizon when he removes the plastic film covering the front of the phone (and the speaker).

The rest of my day and well into the night (Thank You Jeffrey for going to the store and cooking dinner) is dedicated to the needs of my newly blended iFamily. This is much more complicated than I thought; synching does not solve all problems. I vow to clean up my contacts and my inboxes tomorrow, and go to sleep. It was a day to remember, earthquake and iPhone, and I have to admit, neither was as exciting as I had hoped.
Tonight I'll remember to turn off "alerts and ringers" and my newborn iPhone will sleep through the night. Something I wish I remembered last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment