Monday, August 15, 2011

Pajama Day

I remember when my  kids were in nursery school they would occasionally have pajama day. Essentially a regular day at school, but spent in your pajamas, teachers too. I'm pretty sure, at least in our house, kids did not come to school in the actual jammies they slept in. Girls arrived in brightly colored flannels or nightgowns embellished with Disney characters and the boys sported flame -retardant versions of their favorite superhero costume or team uniform.  I'm assuming that the  teachers did not roll out of bed with footie pajamas.  Anyway, to me a real pajama day is actually spent in pajamas , or whatever you substitute for pajamas (unless there is no sleepwear - in that case it's what you put on to go out and get the paper or walk the dog). Which leads me to yesterday, an honest to goodness full-fledged pajama day. In my case it was a combination of what I sleep in and what I put on to get the paper, details not necessary.

Waking up on a rainy Sunday it's practically a given for me to stay at home and from there it's a slippery slope to un-changed and un-showered. This particular Sunday, after 3 nights of less than stellar sleep, there was no other option.


I was not unproductive, managed maybe 5 loads of laundry, which won't matter because I'm pretty sure there will be 5 more tomorrow. Had a few post mortem phone conversations about the weekend and wrote and posted yesterday's entry. Scott woke up and left for a friends house with less than 50 syllables exchanged, no offense taken, he's not a morning person (and by morning I mean the first hour or so after waking, doesn't matter what time). I'm guessing I spent more than 50% of the day parallel and silent, and I may be underestimating.


Jeffrey arrived home around 3 and didn't even notice my day old "beauty" when he kissed me hello and told me how much he missed me. To be fair he had just spent 3 nights with 4 men on a sailboat and was probably lacking in the hygiene department as well. I didn't notice either, I missed him too. He asked why I hadn't even opened the Sunday paper, something we share every weekend over a big pot of coffee. Somehow a ritual isn't the same if only one person is doing it, so the Sunday paper is still in the plastic bag it arrived in.

Sunday happiness continued with Pepe's Pizza and Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. No showering or changing needed, takeout and grocery store. Parallel again after dinner, TV overload with Food Network Star, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage. Waiting in the wings on the DVR; Real Housewives of NJ and Breaking Bad. No apologies for my entertainment choices, if you don't watch them you should.

And so pajama day came to a close, back in bed with Jeffrey (if both people are un-showered it works like a mathematical double negative) and I'll sleep well for the first time in days.
Snoring is better than silence sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment