Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ready for Takeoff...

8:30 Tuesday morning and I'm holding my breath. David is at Bradley Airport ready for takeoff. I refresh the delta flight status page for the next 6 hours until he safely lands in Tucson to begin his senior year in college. I'm not sure if either of us is ready for that reality. Seems like yesterday when we arrived for the 105-degree freshman move-in amidst Terra Cotta Mountains and turquoise skies. The parent hustle, Target to Best Buy to Bed, Bath & Beyond, was close to enjoyable against this movie-like backdrop. I was almost (accent on the almost) inspired to hike up the nearest peak and commune with nature. In the 3 years since, that has not happened, hiker I'm not.  Adding to the Arizona appeal is the fact that this state, completely devoid of humidity, is a Jewish girl’s best friend - this is a frizz- free zone. (Note to self: plan retirement in dry heat). A little sad that I can’t stay longer at this college resort with Jamba Juice and swimming pools. David is not sad that I can't stay longer, and I leave him in this new world without the need for fleece or down jackets.

 He chose the University of Arizona for reasons beyond the warm climate and beautiful barely dressed women (although if you visited you would be hard pressed to come up with other reasons). David has had a singular vision of his future for as long as I can remember. No fireman or football player fantasies, television and film were his destiny. He wrote and performed improv comedy, watched every movie he could, read books about screen plays, stayed up all night writing scripts, and ultimately found a university program that would take him the rest of the way. Fast forward to now, he has stayed true to his dreams and college has hopefully provided the necessary skills and confidence. This is not to say that the road hasn’t been bumpy at times (can’t say I know a parent of a college kid who wouldn’t say the same) but when he moves the tassel from right to left only the joy will remain.
 
Of all the things we want for our children as they grow there are some things that we can't, no matter how hard we try, provide for them. The inspiration that makes them tick and boldly chase their dreams has to come from inside them. I take no credit for David’s steadfast pursuit of his goals, other than the mystery of genetics.  At 19 he spent his first summer in New York City interning at ABC (be jealous if you are a fan of One Life to Live), living alone in a 5th floor non-air-conditioned walk up (don’t ask me how much this palace cost). He persevered and returned this summer in an air-conditioned 2 bedroom with friends (worth every $) and worked a 40 hour week at MTV (be jealous if you, and guilty in my case, are a fan of Jersey Shores and The Real World). He has procured an impressive resume for a 20 year old, through hard work and persistence along with the help of good friends who opened  some doors (note to parents: it's a competitive world out there, don't be afraid to use your contacts, our help can only unlock the gate, what they do after that is up to them. I hope someday I can return the favor to someone else's child, they all deserve a shot). I can’t wait to see where he goes from here. My only wish is that he continues his journey to professional success, defined as the opportunity to wake up every day and do something that you love.

12:30 p.m., text message from David, "landed in Tucson 143" ...and finally, exhale.  Classes begin on Monday and surely the next 2 semesters will go by faster than he hopes (sadly todays graduates are far more fearful than excited about graduation). But time can't stand still, parents and families will arrive, Pomp & Circumstance will play, tears and Dom PĂ©rignon will flow, and I will again hold my breath as David gets ready for takeoff....

On a side note: I'm not playing parental favorites, Scott and Andrew will have their blog moments. It's all a matter of their lives intersecting with my mental roadmap, bound to happen soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment