Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Monday, Monday ...

Monday, the dreaded beginning of the work week, is either a non-stop barrage of emails and meetings or occasionally a productive attack on an out of control to-do list. Yesterday was supposed to be the latter.

I am very fortunate to not work Fridays.  Every weekend is a 3-day combination of a Friday to myself, a Saturday for errands and a night out with friends. Sunday is saved for the newspaper, the laundry, the kids and sometimes a little work to ease the transition into Monday. Variations occur but in general this weekend rhythm leaves me not only ready for Monday but almost looking forward to it.  This weekend was no exception, and I eagerly anticipated a productive Monday.

Instead it went something like this:

Up early, coffee made, quick read of Monday's paper (Monday's Hartford courant is more like a leaflet) and upstairs to shower and dress. Monday on plan until the phone rings. Unknown cell phone number, youngest son (16) at camp calling from a friends phone. He tries to explain a problem at camp, he's a CIT. I'm having trouble following what seems to be a camp prank gone wrong. He's fine but the kids are apparently in trouble and he's upset. I assure him that I'm not mad (still not sure what I'd even be mad at) and let him know I'll follow up with camp and we will talk later.

Now I'm behind schedule, Monday off to a shaky start. 2nd phone call, middle son in NYC coming home after a final assignment with his MTV internship (more on that in tomorrow's post when I put him back on the plane to school). He had planned on taking the bus directly to Hartford but timing wasn't working and he wants to take the train to New Haven and is hoping I could pick him up there at 1pm. Of course I agree, it was his last day home and I'm a pushover.

Time to re-group, work from home in the morning, no point driving there and back before heading to New Haven. Check work emails from home, make necessary calls, confirm afternoon meetings - ok this will get me back on track. Nope, email barrage from other camp moms trying to decode similar calls from their sons (I had actually decided to deal with it later making use of the drive time to New Haven). I promise to get back to them from the road trip.

Rainy drive to train station, start to finish on the phone with equally confused moms, still no official word from camp. David's on time and I'm  looking forward to the return trip home. Best son to take on a car ride, no offense to the other boys, but he's a talker. Excited to hear about his weekend and enjoy some alone time with him before he travels back to West Coast time. I Ignore the mom calls, the ride goes too fast and I drop him home.

Finally arrive at work, just enough time to prep for my meeting and return one phone call. Productive meeting for a project I'm looking forward to and I'm feeling better about my day. It's already much later than I intended to be at work and apparently the home cooked "Goodbye David" dinner is not going to happen. New plan, takeout PHO for 3 of us and David chooses a D'Angelos steak & cheese for his night before college meal (bad mother moment).

After dinner I resolve (at least for now) the camp cyclone by speaking with the Director (enough 3rd party I spoke to so & so who spoke to so & so) and feel good that I handled this one the right way (as did Andrew, no surprise). (good mother moment). I help David with the last of his laundry and packing, attempting to earn a few mom points back after the non-dinner, and of course steal a few more minutes with him before he leaves for the airport at dawn. (sad & tired mother moment)

I surrender to Monday and retreat to bed at 10. Tuesday will be all about the to-do list.

Monday Monday, can't trust that day,
Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way
Oh Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be
Oh Monday Monday, how could you leave and not take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment