Monday, November 21, 2011

Procrastination, Writer's Block and other Excuses...


Not sure if anyone is still out there, but I'm here and trying to figure out where the last 12 days or so have gone. I'd love to say that there was some overwhelming issue which prevented me from writing. It would be so much easier to blame my absence on Internet connectivity, stolen computers or abduction by hostile forces, but in reality the blame lies solely on my shoulders. Let me back track to where I fell off the wagon, which would land me on November 10th, the day after my "Daddy" blog. I gave myself the next day off to regroup and recover, fully intending to return with something lighthearted on the 11th. Unfortunately, that was the day that Scott requested my presence in Arlington, Virginia with the balance of his belongings for his new apartment. If you remember back to storm Alfred, he left for his new job in the midst of our "powerlessness" with just a suitcase of clothing to get him thought the first week or so. Shortly thereafter he signed a lease for a new apartment, first one without parental co-signing, and made plans to get off his friends couch as soon as possible. All of which required immediate transport of his "stuff" to his new home and the quick purchase of a bed and all other household necessities; please let this be the last bed I purchase for him. Because I am such a good Mom or more likely because I love to see him so happy (translation: he's so nice to me when he's not cranky), I was in my Honda pilot and on the road to Virginia within 24 hours of his newly signed lease. The car was filled with all his worldly goods, clothing, flat-screen TV, and the XBOX. The remaining space held all the stuff that I thought he would need or want, bedding, towels, pots & pans (again, please let this be the last trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond for him) and the most important food  items to get him started, cocoa kripsies, cinnamon toast crunch, pasta and sauce and wheat thins. I happily included laundry detergent and bounce and bid farewell to the dirty clothing I would no longer be washing. I managed to squeeze in a few random furniture items from the basement and a stolen street sign from his last college address (I got big points for that inclusion). So back to my excuses ... that Friday was a full-on road trip with an extended stay waiting to go over the GW Bridge and a lovely rush hour trip through DC into Virginia. We unloaded the car at 7 pm, had a quick dinner together, did some more shopping and I was back at my hotel by 9 pm. I could have spent the night writing, after all the hotel bar was not the least bit "hopping" and drinking alone at a hotel bar is not really my style (only seemed exciting with George Clooney in Up in the Air), but I was easily distracted with television, a magazine or two and good old Facebook.  Saturday morning I was back on the road by 7:30 for a relatively easy trip home, pulling in my driveway in record time at 1:30 (including 3 stops - 7-11 for coffee, refueling and an Annie's pretzel on the Jersey Turnpike and a bathroom stop). Did I take the afternoon to write about my travels? No I did not, although there were some interesting observations, which I will get back to in the future. Why, well that evening we were headed to a Children's Hospital fundraiser and I had some prep work to do. Showering, nails, and rest occupied the remainder of my day and the evening was a good time with friends and a little too much alcohol.  You would think that Sunday would be the perfect day to sleep off the Patron Cafe nightcap, enjoy my Sunday paper, morning coffee and write, but that my friends, was not the case. I had a gallery exhibit opening at 3 pm and had left the details unfinished because of my impromptu trip to Scott. Thus, there was no lazy sleep, breakfast was Advil and chugged coffee, there was no CBS or Charles Osgood and the paper was left untouched on the island.  It was already dark when I left work and although I can't remember exactly, I'm pretty sure my next stop was my pillow.
Moving on, Monday November 14th, back to work, no time or energy to write before I got there. Busy day still catching up on the ten days out of the office from the storm and a Webinar in the middle of the day about my upcoming trip to Poland and Israel. This segment was a somber installment about Auschwitz; not exactly the topic that gets me in the mood for lighthearted blogging.  No down time in the afternoon, just enough to go home, change my clothes and head back to work for a book event with Senator Joseph Lieberman. My work day ended at 10 pm and sleep was my only priority. Tuesday morning arrived and it was hair color day; sorry too busy chatting with the technician about the Real Housewives of New Jersey to focus on posting, and then back to work for the afternoon.  Any down time was occupied with sending David a 21st birthday package of love from home (its contents: alcohol, bagels, sour patch kids, gummy bears and $100, every 21-year olds fantasy package - the iPhone arrived a few weeks earlier ).  I have no excuse for Wednesday and Thursday except that I didn't feel like it, too tired - not inspired. I will say that I did reintroduce myself to the lonely elliptical in my basement and had some very enjoyable workouts instead of writing, so all was not lost. Friday finally arrived, my much needed day off, and yet no words made the page. I wish I could say the hours were filled with important, productive activities, but I would be lying; I have no idea what I accomplished besides a few loads of laundry. Friday night was a thought provoking evening at the Connecticut Forum, a pseudo-intellectual series we have been attending for almost 15 years. This segment was called "Creative Minds" and the panelists included Lyle Lovett, Dave Eggars, Jonah Lehrer and Miranda July, moderated by Randy Cohen. Other than Lyle, I had no idea who any of them were prior to the event, but all were brilliant and interesting. We were treated to a beautiful performance by Lovett and unique insights about creativity from the others. A quote from Lehrer quickly typed into my iPhone,  "Creativity is the residue of wasted time" , left me feeling good about all the time I had wasted, creative genius was surely just around the corner.  I was sure that I left inspired to write on Saturday; even drafting an outline in my head through most of the car ride home. But alas, Saturday came and went with random errands during the day and concluded with a family Bat Mitzvah in the evening and too much Bacardi. Now we're in the homestretch ... Sunday started at 10 am after sleeping off the Rum and excessive stage-dancing (it's the fun side of the family) and continued with a full closet cleaning (this was an absolute necessity, there was no visible carpet space), laundry and dinner with friends. No explanation for last night, just being rebellious, and a long walk with the dog (another procrastination technique discovered of late).

So here we are, Monday, November 21st, and this will get posted tonight (even though it is now 6:19 and I have meeting at work from 7 - 8:30). It may not be my best work, take it as a peace offering. To sum up my MIA days I would have to say that I did enjoy being a little lazy, I only felt guilty occasionally, and the dog walking and the elliptical were both positive outcomes. I played a lot of solitaire on my computer (my version of electronic doodling) which according the creative geniuses of the Connecticut Forum, it is necessary to engage in mindless activities to refocus the brain. At this point, I am hoping I am sufficiently un-blocked for a while. There are bound to be some dry patches ahead with Thanksgiving and my trip, but I'll do my best to post something just to let you know I'm still here. I hope you haven't found another blogger who is more interesting or consistent (even though I was threatened with defection by some of my most loyal, you know who you are). No more excuses, I simply had to handle the journey alone for a bit. My passenger seat is available again, if you're ready, hop in and buckle up.

No comments:

Post a Comment