Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bring It On, Alfred ...

Snowstorm in October, well I guess I have no excuse for not writing today. As far as the last few days, just not enough hours in the day. Starting from Wednesday, a non-stop day at work followed by a four-hour Board/Staff meeting, arrived home at 10 pm. Thursday was almost entirely dedicated to a funeral for the 108 year old matriarch of lifelong family friends. More a celebration of life at that age, but to her 75 year old son who visited her every day, the sadness over her loss was palpable. By Friday I was more than a little ready for a quiet day off and spent it mostly at home relaxing and doing laundry. Should have written then, but to be honest, I was happily thoughtless for a change. Good news on the child front capped off my day, Scott will be headed back to DC this week to start a new job. It was just the Friday I needed to prepare for what was supposed to be an over-scheduled weekend. And then came Alfred, Storm Alfred.

It's now Saturday at 4:25 pm and the fact that I am sitting in my bed writing is about as unexpected as the accumulating snow out my window. Today was supposed to be a back-to-back day of preparation for tomorrow's two work events ending with a charity concert tonight. I wasn't even expecting time to sit down, let alone write, so my current horizontal position is even more enjoyable than usual. My morning began with phone calls that started at 9 and culminated at 11 with the decision that tomorrow morning's event would be cancelled due to the impending storm. Too many "ifs" with an author flying in from out of state and potential driving and power issues for the morning. I was disappointed to have to make that decision before the first flake fell, but it was the right choice based on what I am seeing now. The next few hours were filled with logistical details of the cancellation, but those could be done from the comfort of home in my sweatpants. By midday I received the news that tonight's plan was also a no-go, and alas, my "too-full" day was completely free. I had a to make a quick trip to work, but otherwise this Saturday is suddenly sedentary.

Perhaps I underestimated this historical October snowstorm, but my quiet afternoon of writing is now subject to the dim light of the iPad. Its 4:47 and the power is out, a few on and offs preceded this long stretch, and I have a feeling this time it's out for the night. I have 49% power on my iPad and no computer, so let's hope this gets posted before I power down completely. I did hear them say multiple times on the news that widespread outages were expected, but they said the same thing for Hurricane Irene. I assumed they were "crying wolf" again and made no preparations for possible darkness. I'm sure I have few candles lying around (FYI, Jewish yahrzeit candles burn continuously for 24 hours), probably a flashlight or two from camp and enough food in the house that we won't starve. I have no interest in going to the store to participate in storm madness. Why is it that people suddenly feel as if they can't survive without milk, eggs, white bread and Doritos. If I'm lucky, Jeffrey will offer a trip to the store on the way home from his game and take care of the provisions. Dinner is easy on a gas cooktop and if I have the makings for a s'more in the fireplace I could be happy for a few days. There is plenty of liquor in the house if friends come over to ride out the storm or if I need to drink myself into a warm slumber.

All in all, I would say I am in fairly good shape for whatever comes my way. A bit earlier than expected, but a good snowstorm is usually fun, hard to understand if you've never lived in New England. Everyone is forced to stay home and hang out together, usually in the room with the fireplace. Games and puzzles replace television and all food is calorie free. The boys bundle up to shovel, which leads to a dangerous snow assault on whoever wants it least. Sooner or later they arrive in the mudroom red faced and soaked through multiple layers and I serve up mugs of warm hot chocolate. No matter how old they get, that part never changes. All of the sudden I'm kind of looking forward to October's attempt at a snowstorm. Hopefully I'll be able to check in soon and let you know how it went. Stay safe and warm if you are in Alfred's Path and I'll catch you on the other side.

To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment